Sunday, April 24, 2011

Flatiron District

Hello Everybody!


Thank you for visiting my first post for The Scribble Files.  Be sure to follow me as I continue to post my own work, along with the work of colleagues, friends, students, and anything and everything related to creativity and the creative process.
   
This first piece was from a design that was originally planned as a large scale public mural that ended up being scrapped.  I liked the idea so much that I decided to do a smaller installed version.


All Rights Reserved


All Rights Reserved
This painting was ultimately inspired by and created for my lady.  The Flatiron is her favorite building in all of New York.  It is compiled from photos she took of the surrounding area over three separate visits on her DSLR.  The brushwork is a loose interpretation of details that produces a gestalt effect. I exaggerated the perspective to simulate the looming effect these buildings can have on the senses; especially when you're not used to it, within the confines of the limited 2-dimensional space.  My colors are inspired by the comics, and I focused much of my attention on the dramatic play of light and shadow throughout the buildings.  I will always associate The Flatiron with the offices of The Daily Bugle in Sam Raimi's Spider-man films; but my personal favorite is The Chrysler Building.  That's for a later post. ;)


All Rights Reserved

Over the years I have had the opportunity to visit Manhattan for a few days every now and then.  When I was a kid, my only truly profound experience with 'the big apple' was within the pages of Marvel Comics.  To me, and I'm sure many others, it was quite literally a fantasy world.  Even though it was only a few hundred miles away from me, it seemed impossibly out of reach.  I used to imagine what it would be like to see skyscrapers rising above the rural farmlands and hilly horizons of Lander, Pennsylvania.  All the other kids laughed at me. The first time I experienced it (not including when I was nine with my parents, two sisters and a German exchange student, vowing never to return) it did not disappoint.

All Rights Reserved
If you like camping, a great way to experience New York is to get a campsite at:  Ward Pound Ridge.
It's a wildlife preserve about an hour drive north of Manhattan (google maps helps a lot)  $35/night for a lean-to, $25/night for tent camping.  It's pretty hardcore camping, so there's no bathrooms, showers, or Wi-Fi.  The hiking is excellent, and you can bring your dog.  Wake up early to the sounds of nature, maybe watch a deer run through the woods, hop in your car and an hour later you're in one of the biggest cities in the world. Spend hours just walking around and take it all in.  With the money you save camping, don't think twice about spoiling yourself with a night in a hotel. At least for the shower.

See you again soon!

Dave




No comments:

Post a Comment